Thursday, June 16, 2011

Tomorrow's the big day (almost)

Tomorrow night about 11:15 will be when I fly out to meet my team and begin training for the trip! I'm not sure if I'm ready for it yet, since I found out two days ago that I would be playing guitar and helping lead music for our group. That ended up being much more prep work than I expected, since I'm not the best guitar player that's ever lived and I haven't practiced in a little while. I'm super excited about it, though.

The whole thing still feels a little surreal-- that in two days, I'll be in a completely different culture for a month and a half with about 20 people I just met, studying a language and culture that's completely unfamiliar to me. I have no doubt that it's going to be completely amazing and life-changing, though. That's not what I'm preoccupied with. I just want to be as prepared as I can be.

Also, since I'm sure it's going to be frustrating not having any specifics, feel free to ask me for them AFTER the trip is over. However, if you want a more direct way of communicating with me during this trip, this is the email I'm going to be using:  gordon.samuel.lee@gmail.com. 

If you do send me emails, please be mindful of what you say in them. I will be in a country that has a fairly restrictive and watchful government, so do not use any sort of religious language or sentiment. If you have to ask yourself if it's ok, it's probably not wise to include. Feel like you're being too vague. On the flip side, I'd love to hear from you, whoever you are, and encouragement of any sort would be greatly appreciated.

With all my love,

-Gordon